A GIRL SHOULD BE TWO THINGS: CLASSY AND FABULOUS. Coco Chanel
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 24, 2010

99 Cent Jewelry Junkie

I like shopping for jewelry. But I really like shopping for 99 cent jewelry at NBC. The other weekend they had two large tables filled with Rubbermaid bins that were stuffed with jewelry. And everything was 99 cents. Be still my heart.

Now, most of the jewelry was in sad shape - broken clasps, only one earring, cracked stones, you get the idea. But there were some wearable or workable pieces and I snatched those up.

I got two of these Chico's necklaces. One for Sister and one for me.


There were a lot of these in the bins. Some had broken strands so all the beads off of one strand would be missing. Or the clasp would be wonky. I found two that were in pretty good shape. They each were missing only the outermost strand which is hardly noticeable and I think another strand might be overkill anyway.


I really like the bronze color of the beads. I think they'll go well with lots of different colors. The tag said $48.


Heavy bib necklaces have been catching my eye for the past few seasons, but they seemed so trendy that I haven't bought one. I had decided that I was going to get one anyway and then I was so pleased to find two bib necklaces in great shape.



I'm keeping one and sending the other to my sister.

The beads on this next necklace are really pretty in person.


There were sooo many of these. They had a neat magnetic clasp.



The problem with the clasp is that the magnets were falling out of the clasp. I found one that had a working clasp, but one strand was missing. I ended up buying a second one, too, planning on reworking it somehow.

I got home and removed the clasp from the broken necklace and restrung all the beads onto fishing line and a clasp I had left over from my days of making bead necklaces.


Uh, this took a lot longer than I anticipated. I was hoping that the teeny, tiny gold beads were attached to the larger beads, but they were not. I'm going to give this necklace to my mom which makes the work worth it because I think she'll really like it and it will look good on her.

Since the original necklace had all three strands, this single strand is now really long. She'll be able to wear it doubled:


or tripled:


I also bought my mom this Kenneth Cole necklace. She loves green.


It was in a Ziploc bag and the center stone was detached. When I got home I just reattached it with some floral wire.


The Kenneth Cole tag said $38.

I bought this necklace for myself.


The clasp was broken so I cut it off with wire cutters and replaced it with a clasp I had left over from a Goodwill necklace I restrung.


Seven necklaces for $6.93. I'm sure glad I stopped in that day!

5 comments:

  1. I need to be on the list of people you send to! Such cute finds! I wish I had the patience to dig through bins like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart! I was enjoying reading the post, but I got really excited when I got to the part about necklaces for me! I like them, and can't wait to see you and get my necklaces--in that order :). Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mom & Sister are such lucky ladies to have you as their personal shopper! You have such an eye, Holly. I'd say that you got a lot of bling for your buck. Ha ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These necklaces are super cute!!

    www.dukeandsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for my new necklaces! Can't wait to wear them. Way to power through those bins! And I love your new blog colors, too.

    ReplyDelete