A GIRL SHOULD BE TWO THINGS: CLASSY AND FABULOUS. Coco Chanel
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ross, I Just Can't Quit You

I do a lot of my shopping at discount stores that carry brand name items - TJMaxx, Marshalls, Ross. And I rank their niceness in that order.

Most TJMaxx stores are really clean and bright with lots of high quality merchandise. You can find plenty of real leather in the shoe and handbag departments and they carry higher end brands. I have a pair of $180 Coach sunglasses that were featured in InStyle that I snagged for $60.


There are also great deals to be found at TJMaxx, particularly at the end of the season. At the end of the Summer I bought several of these cute straw totes to give as Happy Today presents for $1 each!


They're really well made, fully lined and have pockets.


I also bought my sister and myself these cute cover ups on the same trip.


For only $3 each!

So if TJMaxx is at the top of the list, Ross is at the bottom of the list.


There is a lot of junk in there. I feel like I need to wash my hands really well when I leave. They have those ridiculous baskets with the tall poles on them. They employ teenaged "security guards" to watch for shoplifters. Yeah, right. The shoe department smells like pleather, a rubber manufacturing plant, and dirty feet. Almost half of the shoes are on the floor and they strap them together so tightly so that you can't really try them on. My sister and I have been known to take out nail clippers to snip that little plastic ring holding together a promising pair of sandals. Shhh.

I bought my mother-in-law the cutest pair of pajamas at Ross for $16.99. I was excited to give them to her for Mother's Day. They were Liz Claiborne and had the tag on them for $58 (I was going to cut that off, of course). They were sold as a set and actually stayed together in the store because Ross used that annoying little plastic string to link them together. Thankfully, when I was cutting them apart to wrap them I noticed that the top and bottom were different sizes. And wouldn't you know the bottoms were bigger. Not the message I was trying to send my mother-in-law. Awesome. So I had to take them back and, of course, the other sets were gone. Grrr.

My brother-in-law, Ryan, sent me this video about Ross and I laughed so hard I cried. If you frequent Ross you will not be disappointed.

Watch video

So now that I've adequately bashed Ross, let me say that I have some fabulous finds from Ross. I bought my mom a pair of black slacks for 49 cents! I bought this cute puffer jacket for $1.49!


I did not need another jacket, but I could NOT pass up a $1.49 jacket! It's puffy without adding too much bulk.


While it's fitted, it also has the double zipper that you can unzip from the bottom so that you can walk fast in the cold without looking like a penguin because your knees are bound together.


The same trip where I bought the mismatched pajamas I also picked up a little gift for a friend. I am a sucker for terry cloth and swimsuit cover ups. I have lots of both. I thought this terry cloth dress was adorable!


It's tiered, it has cute little ruffles, and some interesting texture while still being simple.


My friend could wear this as a cover up to the pool, throw it on when she gets out of the shower and wear it while she gets ready, or even wear it to grab a snow cone or Sonic drink with the boys. She has pretty green eyes and is getting ready to go to St. Lucia with her man. This is perfect for her. It even has the $42 tag on it.

But then I started to second-guess myself.

What if she hates it? She's so nice that she'll feel like she HAS to wear it even if she doesn't like it. Maybe I shouldn't get it. Then I looked at the tag and told myself to snap out of it.


I'm sorry, Ross.

*Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this ... and TOTALLY redeem yourself!

* Note to my Mom: it's a quote from Dumb & Dumber. :)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE TJMaxx and highly dislike Ross, too! That video is hilarious! That quote from Dumb and Dumber is used lots around our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.... I have green eyes.... and little boys.... and I'm going to St. Lucia soon with my Hubs... Could it be??? ;)

    Holly, you are too good to me! As soon as I got to the part about the green terry cloth dress, my first thought was, "I LOVE that! I wonder if they would still have any left if I loaded the kids up and went straight to Ross right now." What a great find! Happy Today, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget the Ann Taylor skirt you bought me at Ross for 48 cents! Or was that Marshall's? And you'll have to bring your new coat next time you come to Colorado in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the clue regarding Dumb and Dumber :). It's nice that we were together during most of these shopping trips. That's the most important part in my book... Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete