A GIRL SHOULD BE TWO THINGS: CLASSY AND FABULOUS. Coco Chanel
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Faux American Manicure

Last night at dinner, Abbey looked at my hand and asked if I'd had my nails done. When I shook my head "no" and started to explain, she half rolled her eyes and in a lovingly accusatory tone said "Don't tell me you did that." (Don't worry. She can use this tone with me. I used it with her just a couple weeks ago when I received an adorable poem as part of her son's birthday invitation and I had to challenge her with "Oh my gosh. Did you write that yourself?" It's OK. We're close like that.) Well, I guess I did do my nails myself, but it's not anything special.



I use Sally Hansen SALON Nail Lacquer in #270 Sweet Creams. The picture above is with two coats of polish. One coat is just too sheer for my taste.


I bought my last bottle at Ulta, but now I'm not seeing it on their website. I seem to remember that it was $5.79, but when I went back to buy a bottle for my mom it was on sale for $2.89. I sure hope they haven't discontinued it. My all time favorite Sally Hansen nail polish was a color called The Look Sheer that my sister-in-law told me about. It was discontinued years ago. I can't even find it by Googling it. That's when you know it's really gone. Tear.

What's great about these creamy, light shades is that they give you a manicured look, but if you don't get around to giving yourself (or having) a manicure each week, this color hides a few chips here and there. It even works as a quick pedicure. Never ever EVER leave your home with exposed, bare toenails.


Brush on a quick coat of Sweet Creams or a similar shade and you're good to go. If you get a smudge in your haste it won't even show. (By the way, this is NOT my foot).

If you want your polish to last I highly recommend NailTek Intensive Therapy II.


It keeps your nails super shiny and strong. It's $10.95 at Ulta, but you can always print off a $3.50 coupon on their website making it $7.45. I think this NailTek brand is a cheaper version of Nailtiques. I was using Nailtiques Formula 2 until a helpful sales associate at Drug Emporium (R.I.P, Texas Drug Emporium) recommended NailTek. It's almost half the price and works just as well. I've found that if you use NailTek Intensive Therapy II without color it will start to peel off once you build up several coats, but for some reason, if you use it with nail polish it doesn't do that.

You're supposed to use it as a base coat, followed by two coats of color and then use it again as a top coat. The bottle says you should add a top coat every day. You can do that if you have the time (and choose to spend it that way), but you certainly don't have to. I skip the base coat if I'm using a light color like Sweet Creams that won't stain my nails and just use it as a top coat. I might do another coat a few days later if I think of it at the beginning of an hour-long show.

Let me know if you can find #270 Sweet Creams or if there's another color that works just as well for you.

Just for fun I'm going to pose a survey question at the end of most posts. Well, I think it's fun to see your answers.

Today's question is: What do you do with your nails? Au naturale, do them yourself or have them done?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I hope you haven't looked at my toes lately! I better step it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fingernails usually have a sheer coat, but my toenails will ALWAYS be painted when exposed, usually in a bright pink (summer) or red for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, your nails look fantastic. Also, I just wanted to mention that last week, I bought a classy boys Darth Vader costume that was only $2 (90% off with the after-Halloween clearance at Wal-Mart)!!! It won't fit my son, Troy, for a few years. But the good thing is...Star Wars never goes out of style. - Rich from Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fingernails always look so pretty! Thanks for sharing your secrets. :)

    I have to admit that, for a split second, I thought that those really were your feet. Ha!

    I usually don't do anything to my ugly figernails. My toes, however, are always painted. I love, love, love a good pedicure. It is my guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete