A GIRL SHOULD BE TWO THINGS: CLASSY AND FABULOUS. Coco Chanel
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday's Fabulous Finds

Last Friday I had the chance to spend three glorious hours combing through my favorite store, Half of Half, or NBC, as it used to be called. I get in some sort of time warp when I go there. The minutes quickly turn into hours as I browse, dig, and sometimes scrounge for my fabulous finds.

Friday was the start of a 99 cent sale. Thankfully I had gotten the NBC email in time to switch cars with Tim. I don't take my car there (anymore) since the after-market Pioneer stereo/faceplate was stolen out of my car in the NBC parking lot. I stayed away for a few weeks after *the incident* but I decided not to let those losers get the best of me. Tim wouldn't call them losers. He actually said that he felt sorry for whoever broke into my car because they must have been pretty desperate. Staring at the wires hanging out of my dash I can't say I felt the same. That ended up being my most expensive trip to NBC yet. But I'm still ahead in the long run.

There wasn't anything too terribly exciting that I had to have. I ended up with a basic, black cardigan that I'm sure will come in handy. I had a couple that I gave my sister because I thought I never wore them, but I've found myself wishing I had one to grab on my way out the door.
It has some cute details. It's very fitted and looks good open or buttoned. I really like these little pleats or tucks at the shoulder.

I'd say the price was right. It was regularly $59, but since it was a green tag (half off the marked price last week) it was $6.

The system at NBC can take a little getting used to. They price everything at 75% off the retail price, or half of half, get it? So ... this cardigan was $59 retail (at Macy's, actually), so when it was new merchandise at NBC they priced it at $12. They actually priced it lower than half of half. It had a green tag. Once green tags have been in the store a while they will run specials like 25% off the marked price or, in this case, 50% off the marked price. So my $59 INC cardigan from Macy's was only $6. Oooh, I love combining colors and math and clothes.

I LOVE this next cardigan. It is super soft and a great, neutral color. I am on a ruffle kick lately. I love how versatile this sweater is. I can wear it with jeans or with slacks. (I don't really care for the word slacks, but what else would you call them?)

And this was $6, too. It's also INC by Macy's.

I only got one 99 cent item this trip. A nice pair of semi-matte, gold earrings.

They will get lots of wear, I'm sure, and they will look great with my bangles from the Banana Republic outlet that I picked up for about $13.

We'll see how long I can last before I have to go back. I got an email yesterday about a big $19 designer sale at NBC. I wanted to go this afternoon, but I decided to give it another week. I can quit anytime. I promise.

Question: Is there a store that calls out to you?

Feel free to leave your answer in the comments so that all the fabulous and classy girls can learn from you!

8 comments:

  1. Holly

    -To say I love your blog...is an understatement! I am soooo proud of you! I can't wait to follow along and become more classy & fabulous!!!

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEEESSS!!! I'm so excited that you started a blog! I love it! That white ruffled cardigan is to die for! I am really into the ruffle trend, too. Cute, cute, cute! Welcome to the blogosphere, my friend. I can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best blog I've ever read - absolutely fantastic! More where this came from please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I took all your black cardigans, but I'm glad you found a new one! My favorite store in Denver is TJMaxx, but, oh how I wish we had NBC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take me with you next time... I just got the Christmas coupons by email and I am ready to get some deals!!! I can't do math and colored tags confuse me! I love your cheap thrills and I am glad you are doccumenting your successes! Ha! Tim is cracking me up! I can just hear you saying it as I read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie Brawand Lafitte (Aunt Bonnie)November 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM

    super cool and fun! I read the nail polish thing, and now I can't find it... anyhow, speaking of toenails, Lindsey treated me to my first ever pedicure yesterday. What an experience. I never knew about the massage chair included in the package. Did you know I really like clothes? I love to look through catalogs and dream. I have discovered that petite tops work best for me because I'm narrow in the shoulders, apparently inherited from Grandma Knight. Proud of you, Holly Bell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Holly! Well I am seriously impressed! Its nice to know there are others in the family who appreciate the thrills of a good buy! You and Aunt Susan are always fun to shop with! Do you remember when I was in the third grade and my mom gave you the money for my new school clothes and you took me to NBC? Boy was that an adventure! Looking forward to reading more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Holly, This is good work and you don't even have to be a female to enjoy it. Bargain hunting is something close to a universal pleasure, even for a straight male. I love your humor! You don't have to know what a duvet or a camisole is to enjoy it. I recently found a lab-worthy microscope at a thrift store for $30 (on-line, about $200+). Shop on!

    ReplyDelete